Serving the people of Steeton and Eastburn

Powers and Duties

Parish Council's have a wide range of powers which essentially relate to local matters, such as looking after open spaces, play areas, street lighting, bus shelters, and much more.

The powers which have been vested in Parish, Town and Community Councils being Acts of Parliament are summarised below. Each description is brief and is intended to be a general indication.

Like all powers given to public bodies, the powers of local councils are defined in detail in legislation and these details may include a requirement to obtain the consent of another body (for example the approval of the Unitary or County Council for the provision of a car park).

Local Councils must exercise their powers subject to the provisions of the general law (for example planning permission is necessary for a sports pavilion).


Powers and Duties

Statutory Provisions


Power to provide allotments

Duty to provide allotment gardens if demand unsatisfied and if reasonable to do so

Small Holding & Allotments Act 1908, s.23

Burial grounds, cemetaries and crematoria

Power to acquire and maintain

Power to provide

Power to contribute towards expenses of cemeteries

Open Spaces Act 1906, Sections 9 and 10

Power to provide Local Government Act 1972,s.214

Power to contribute towards expenses of cemeteries Local Government Act 1972, s.214 (6)

Bus shelters

Power to provide and maintain bus shelters

Local Government (Misc. Provision) Act 1953,s.4


Powers to act as charity trustees

Local Government Act 1972, bs.139(1)

Crime prevention

Power to spend money on crime detection and prevention measures

Local Government and Rating Act 1997, s.31


Power to repair and maintain public footpaths and bridle-ways.

Power to light roads and public places

Power to provide parking places for vehicles, bicycles and motor cycles.

Power to enter into agreement as to dedication and widening

Power to provide roadside seats and shelters

Power to consent to a local highway authority stopping maintenance of a highway or stopping up/ diverting a highway

Power to complain to district council about the protection of rights of way and roadside waste

Power to provide certain traffic signs and other notices

Power to plant trees and shrubs and to maintain roadside verges

Highways Act 1980, ss. 43, 50

Parish Councils Act 1957, s. 3; Highways Act 1980, s.301

Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, ss. 57, 63

Highways Act 1980, ss. 30, 72

Parish Councils Act 1957, s. 1

Highways Acts 1980, ss. 47, 116

Highways Act 1980, s. 130

Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, s. 72

Highways Act 1980, s. 96


Provision of bins

Litter Act 1983, ss.5,6


Power to provide information relation to matters affecting local government

Local Government Act 1972, s.142

Open spaces

Power to acquire and maintain land for public recreation

Power to acquire and maintain land for open spaces

Public Health Act 1875, s.164

Open Spaces Act 1906, ss.9 and 10


Power to provide a wide range of recreational facilities

Local Government (Misc. Provisions) Act 1976,s.19

Traffic Calming

Power to contribute financially to traffic calming measures

Local Government and Rating ACt 1997, s.30


Power for councils to have their own website

Local Government Act 1972, s.142

Last updated: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 16:00